Glasgow London Westwoods Skies Los Angeles

Friday, July 24, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

Today I got the first call from HR at my new job. This was to make sure that papers would be sent to the correct address and also allow me an opportunity to talk with her and get acquainted with the office. So we discussed the usual: clothing policy, what was in the breakroom, they have a Keurig (YAY!!), but an itty bitty refridgerator (boo!) so it'll be like I'm working in Italy which I'm not opposed too.

Now, I like to throw in loaded questions to any HR person, nothing mean spirited or foolish, but something that requires more than looking at the company manual to answer and helps me to figure out the mood of the office. I asked about the music policy and volunteered that I have an external hard drive where all my legal *ahem* *wink wink* music lives and if it was OK to listen to music. At first she wasn't too thrilled about it and said that I would be too busy with calls and questions to listen to music, but then I told her that I normally keep the speaker music level low enough for me to hear, but that won't interfere with my hearing the phone ringing or office people needing my help with something. To that I got an "OHH, then that's totally fine then, I just assumed you meant that you would use headphones. Speakers are totally fine and won't shut you off from everyone."

So this means two very important things: the place is laid back, but still corporate meaning that they have policies to follow, but aren't going to be incredibly stuffy about; I will be an essential employee, meaning that I'm going to be in the chain of command and this makes me very anxious and nervous.

I really hope that I'll be able to perform well for this place. I don't want what happened at my first corporate gig to happen again, where I was hired as a statistic and wasn't acquainted with anything and just thrown to the lions knowing that I would be disposed of 5 months later, just short of being able to collect unemployment. I want to be able to work and not play politics, I want to be able to sit down, get some work done and not be judged because I went out with friends the night before. More importantly, I don't want to work under constant scrutiny; constructive criticism and learning are what I desire, not picking apart everything I do in order to belittle me.

So, I will play by the rules and I won't ruffle too many feathers (not until my first year is up anyway). My nose will be to the grindstone, as I have to learn another few programs for this place and I will do my best to represent myself and the company.

However, my desk buddy will be coming along with me for my very first day, this should be a precursor for my personality and an olive branch I will extend.

He goes on top of my monitor because I love him. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home