Glasgow London Westwoods Skies Los Angeles

Monday, September 10, 2007

Highway Robbery!

So over the weekend I decided to finally take the plunge and buy myself a new bed. Something that is actually mine and is actually a decent size bed, not that my bed before was that bad, but it was neither of those two things that I mentioned before. We're talking a hand-me-down twin size bed from my grandmother. It was definitely great and served it's purpose, but I'm all grown up now and can afford a new mattress plus, I want the biggest bed possible so that I can brag about it like a proper adult!

So I decided to go about to some different mattress places and see what the wallet damage would be. I check out a discount furniture place and got a nice baseline of what the absolute minimum price would get me (oh yeah, I'm cheap like that). Then I went to another place that was much pricier, but had better quality mattresses and liked to give specials depending on their mood.

So first off, the sales guy was a d*ck. Just a complete, pushy, stereotype of a salesmen. "Try that one, now that one, turn to your side, try that one..." I was going to tell him what I really thought of him and leave in a huff, but I decided to play it cool. So as he came back he asked me what I thought, I told him that I had found something comparable and at a lower price at another store. With that he asked me (very nicely, oddly enough) "well, do you mind if I ask what the price is at this other place?" So I told him, because at this point that was my way of saying "f*ck off," but he then preceded to "go see what his manager would say" about meeting this price.

So we (I schlepped my sister with me) waited a bit and for all we knew, he could have been getting some coffee in the break room instead of "talking to the manager," but I figured I would go along with the song and dance. He comes back and tells me that he's willing to give me the higher quality mattress for the same price as the mattress at the discount competitor, but he'll include the frame and delivery in the price.

So after I picked up my jaw, I managed to walk away with a queen size mattress set with the frame and delivery charge all amounting to 50% less than the retail price for the whole set. Before I wrote out the check I kept checking the paperwork to make sure that there was no fine print that said "oh yeah, and we want your first born child as well," and there wasn't, so I got myself the mattress before the guy would come to his senses. Then me and my sister ran away with the papers just to be sure he didn't change his mind.

I should have brought a gun to the store because that would have explained why I got such a deal. "Oh, well you did hold a gun to his head, that explains it..."

So I haz a real bed now! One I bought with my own, two widdle hands and that'll last me until who knows when. :-)

Now I just hope the sheets that I ordered online will come before the bed does...or else I'll be bummin' it with some blankets until they do arrive.

3 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, September 10, 2007, Blogger J said...

Very Nice, I wondered how you got such a good deal.

 
At 5:52 AM, September 13, 2007, Blogger TimmyD said...

All this means is that they're making HUGE markup on most of their bed sales. They obviously wouldn't sell you anything at a loss. They just figured that a little profit was better than none.

 
At 7:41 AM, September 13, 2007, Blogger Eris said...

And I'm fine with that. Everything is happy in the world because I spent less than I thought I would. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home