Glasgow London Westwoods Skies Los Angeles

Sunday, July 01, 2012

#4 - Name Calling

We were all looking over a building, BB, Coworker and myself. BB points out that I had a beam in the wrong place. TECHNICAL WARNING: We consult the architectural section and determine that the beam, instead of being supported by the ends of cantilevered beams out from a group of columns, the beam should really be supported by the columns themselves.

In front of Coworker BB proceeds to chide me for "making a kindergartener mistake." "This is just stupid, how could you send out sh*tty drawings like this, you should know better." "You're making us look like *ssholes!"

So let's recap that:
- yes, I made a mistake on the load path
- I am now a kindergartener
- and have humiliated the company as a whole
- I also release sh*tty drawings

So, for the grand scheme of the building, I made one mistake and somehow that invites a complete criticism of my abilities as an engineer.

However, when the mistake was on BB's end, he would just demand his way was going to happen regardless. I had overheard an exchange with BB and Coworker. I didn't agree with BB's load path on another project and told him that we didn't need to have attachments in a certain area because no load was being resisted. He then takes the project over to Coworker, who after looking through everything agrees with me.

"BB, you don't need attachments here, the load is being resisted here."
"Coworker, I don't care, I want attachments here."
"But these are costly connections, they aren't needed?"
"I don't care."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home