Glasgow London Westwoods Skies Los Angeles

Friday, September 28, 2007

US vs. World News

I had heard from my international friends that US news tends to have a different bend to it, either it has more of a fear mongering tone to it or the important stories get buried because they're either "not important to Americans" or don't fit the agenda of the news agency. Also, my US friends traveling abroad and trying to catch up with the news would see stories (really important stories) that never made it over to the states or stories presented in a much more rational sense.

But actually seeing this for myself really pissed me off:

Are you kidding me CNN??? "Wabbits" have the same newsworthiness as Burma??

1 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, September 28, 2007, Blogger Laura Anne said...

Unfortunately, it's true -- American news is pretty parochial. Part of that, though, is just the sheer size and scope of the country -- when you're this large, there's a lot going on that needs to be covered, especially when it comes to politics, local news etc. Most people I know do pay attention to international events, but don't rely on the televised news for that, especially in these days of the Internet. I can get my monks in Myanymar and my bunnies in the same place, and read them in the order they interest me.

TV news does seem to emphasize the "cute" or fluff pieces at the expense of international updates, but anyone in the UK should not throw stones -- I've seen some of their fluff pieces and it would make even Faux NewZ cringe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home