Glasgow London Westwoods Skies Los Angeles

Monday, April 07, 2008

My friend is sick...

My friend's appendix burst last week. He went in for surgery at Griffin Hospital Thursday night. Friday afternoon, I get the call from his mother that I should call him and probably visit since "he's not doing to well." I try to call his room Friday night, no answer. I try to call his room Saturday morning, no answer.

My sister and I figure we should just go and visit then. So we go Saturday late morning and he's not in his room. I think that he probably got sent home and feel awesome that he's not there anymore. Then a nurse comes by and says "you're looking for him, he's in ICU now."

ICU is never good and the bottom of my world drops out from beneath me. I enter into this mental protection zone where I'm just a zombie that's completely numb and has no emotions.

We go downstairs to ICU and learn that he's in the very first room (not a good sign). We come in and he has an oxygen mask on and is not conscious. He does however wake up when we whisper "good morning" to him. We had bought these cute little Get Well bears and were dancing them around, so that made him happy. Then his grandmother and mother walk in and then a nurse comes in. Something happens and all of a sudden the nurse turns the light off and he needs to puke or something, so we scramble because we're not related to him and pretty much know that we'll get sent away.

I get a call from his grandmother (who I'm better acquainted with) on Sunday. His kidneys have shut down and the puss from his appendix bursting has gotten circulated into his blood and he's now having problems breathing. However, he's no longer intubated, apparently he pulled out his tube during the night (which is a pretty good sign actually and pretty bad ass in my opinion) so he's 50/50 breathing on his own (he does have a mask on to help him out).

I'll see about visiting him again today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home