Glasgow London Westwoods Skies Los Angeles

Friday, July 27, 2007

"Five Men Who Broke My Heart"


It's a book that my friend, Laura Anne Gilman, had lent me and that I finally finished last night. To be honest though, I was actually disappointed that the book didn't keep going, I didn't want it to end.

The book is a memoir about Susan Shapiro's journey though her past, centered on her most painful breakups. It ends with her learning to appreciate the things she has now along with the things that she's accomplished in her lifetime, but also learn to be happy with herself and her marriage and really the present situation. (Something I really identified with.)

I can't rave more about this book...well...I can and I will, actually. :-)

I love how it's written in a very matter-of-fact way, there's no beating around the bush. Honesty and frankness are always things that I love to see whether it's in film or in the books I read, so it was great to be able to read a book and actually think I was talking with the narrator, rather than just reading. That's how open the book was, it was almost like having a conversation with the author.

And like I said, I was disappointed that I finished the book, I wanted the story to keep going. I really identified with the character and when the book ended it was like a friend waving goodbye to me from a plane off to the other side of the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home