Glasgow London Westwoods Skies Los Angeles

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Weekend Shopping

While in South Jersey, there were many interesting places to shop in the downtown areas of Hammonton, NJ and Cape May. Coming from Connecticut I'm so used to paying out of my nose for anything remotely cool or useful, so I always love when I travel in the US because, besides traveling to NYC, I always end up saving money shopping in that area. Hence, my excitement at food and "cool things" prices, so much so that I had to ask one cashier "really...REALLY??"

Here's a breakdown of cool places with websites, if the place even has one. If not, then I included a Google Map pinpoint so that you can at least visit the place if you happen to be in the area.

Hammonton, NJ:
Antique Market Place: 111 12th Street, (609) 567-1889
  • an awesome selection of unique things from god knows when, set up into little displays to show off their qualities; like the dram of Avon perfume I bought for my mother was displayed in a little vanity set made to look like it was in some woman's bedroom from the past.
  • CHEAP; I can't stress that enough, I walked away with a BUNCH of items and only spent a small amount considering what I had purchased.
  • baseball cards and sport memorabilia.
  • great selection of china and service wear from all over the place; I got this great tea and luncheon set from Shofu Japan that is pre-WWII. Now I bought it because it's gorgeous, if it happens to be worth anything, meh, not interested in selling.
  • great staff; the owner helped me wrap up everything since he knew I was traveling back by car and needed some added insulation, plus he gave me a discount on everything, so YAY!
Cape May, NJ:
Dellas 5 & 10: 501-503 Washington Street
  • harkens back to the time period where the "five & dime" ruled, before the mega stores ruled the world and these mini department stores reined.
  • has an old-fashioned soda fountain in the back where you have to go to purchase your items, so yes, tempting people with food as they cashed out started way back when.
  • they had these amazing items that looked like they came out of a time capsule: chattering teeth, classic prank items like sour popcorn and disappearing ink as well as magic items
  • incase you were a traveller desperately indeed of a pair of clean clothing, you were in the right place as they had everything down to undies and shoes available
  • a must go if you are in Cape May
Import Bazaar: 306 Washington Street Mall
  • the review on Google says it all: "Always worth a stroll inside if for nothing else but to oggle the array of kitsch. Like an oversized garage sale there is something for everyone or no one."
  • so I walked away with a walking stick (hehehe, did you see what I did there :-P), a back scratcher and some other things that only a place like that would sell.
More to come once I dig up all the business cards I took that are sitting in one of my coats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home